Why does it always seem that the concepts of healthy food and mouth-watering, yummy concoctions are mutually exclusive? As a bake-aholic – I am on a mission to find a fusion of both the healthy side and that decedent side that makes me feel all warm inside.
As a teacher, I am very much familiar with the idea of not reinventing the wheel. As such I am a firm believer in using available resources and building on other peoples’ experience. For this reason when contemplating the dichotomy of nutrition and taste my first point of call was an online search for healthy snacks.
Attempt 1: Nutty Date Slice
The following recipe has been adapted from the Sanitarium website: http://www.sanitarium.com.au/recipes/nutty-date-squares
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 C Caster Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 3/4 C Wholemeal Flour
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 C Chopped Dates
- 2 C Chopped Walnuts
- Melted Chocolate for garnish
- Place eggs in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until light and frothy.
- Add sugar and vanilla and beat well.
- Add sifted cinnamon, flour and baking powder as well as dates and walnuts. Stir well.
- Spread mixture into a lightly greased and lined 26cm x 16cm lamingtion tin. Bake in a slow oven, 150°C for 30 minutes.
- Once cool, melt chocolate and drizzle over slice