Why spend money at the bakery when with a bit of time and some great fresh ingredients you can make a beautiful bread, perfect to share with your nearest and dearest! Not only is home made bread an amazing addition to your next special meal, its is also a fiscally responsible choice in these times of financial uncertainty. So, why not roll up your sleeve s, grab some fresh herbs from the garden and get that oven pre-heating!
Easy Herb and Garlic Pull-Apart Bread
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) Warm Water
- 2 tsp (7g/1 sachet) Yeast
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 525g (3 1/2 cups) Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- Olive oil, to grease
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Parsley (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Basil (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil (1/2 regular olive oil 1/2 chili infused olive oil)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (crushed)
- Combine water, yeast and sugar in a bowl. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 5 minutes or until frothy.
- In a separate (large) bowl add flour and salt. Make a well in the centre and add yeast mixture. Stir to combined.
- Use hands to bring dough together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Brush a bowl with oil to grease. Place dough in bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 210°C. Brush an 11 x 21cm (base measurement) loaf pan with oil to grease. Combine herbs in a bowl, set aside. Combine olive oil and crushed garlic in separate bowl, set aside.
- Punch down the centre of the dough with your fist. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes or until dough is elastic and has returned to original size.
- Divide into 18 equal portions. Roll each portion into a 6cm-diameter disc. Place 6 discs in the pan.
- Brush with oil mixture and spoon over one-third of the herb mixture. Continue layering with remaining dough, oil mixture and herb mixture. Cover with a damp tea towel and set aside in a warm, draught-free place to prove for 30 minutes or almost doubled in size.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden and loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the base. Serve warm or at room temperature.
The inspiration for this recipe is available at: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/1791/garlic+herb+feta+pull+apart