My first popover experience was at Neiman Marcus’s Zodiac Restaurant in Plano Texas. There they serve these delicate breads with strawberry butter as a starter. From that first taste I was hooked! Upon returning home to Australia I endeavoured to discover the art of the popover.
Below is the recipe which I’ve discovered to work quite well. It should be noted that popovers can be difficult and sometimes have a mind of their own. With this in mind I highly recommend being precise with timing and temperature.
Popovers / Yorkshire Puddings
- 1 1/2C Plain Flour or Bread Flour (for extra lift)
- 1 1/2Tbsp Unsalted Butter (melted)
- 3/4tsp Salt
- 3 Eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 1/2C Milk (at room temperature)
- Preheat oven to 220C (425F)
- Sift flour
- Mix all ingredients and allow to stand for at least 10 minutes (some recipes suggest standing mix for up to one hour)
- Preheat muffin tin for exactly 2 minutes
- Remove muffin tin and brush with extra melted butter
- Immediately pour mixture into tin and return to oven
- Bake for 30 minutes (without opening oven) or until raised and browned
- Serve immediately with lashings of butter and a selection of alternative spreads