Ok, well this is a bit embarrassing, but prior to this experience I had never cooked with rhubarb. I like to account for this deficiency in the breath of my cookery knowledge arising from a childhood spend in Texas. Upon writing this statement I quickly did a search to discover whether my lack of rhubarb know-how really was a consequence of my Southern spent youth….
Good News! Turns out rhubarb is the Yankee of all vegetables masquerading as fruit!
With my new found knowledge of rhubarb (that it is actually a vegetable and that its leaves are poisonous) I turned my attention to producing some delicacy from the bunch which came home with me from my favourite orchard (Aumann Family Orchard). Now, in Australia there is no shortage of rhubarb related recipes and so I was posed with a dilemma. Overwhelmed with choice my rhubarb sat patiently waiting in the fridge. Days passed and eventually over a week, until finally I decided… rhubarb jam. Unfortunately I have no witty comment about this choice; the recipe was simple, straightforward and I like jam.
And so the recipe…
- 500G Rhubarb (trimmed, washed and coarsely chopped)
- 500G Sugar (caster, superfine sugar)
- 60ml (1/4C) Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1tsp Vanilla
- Combine all ingredients in a large glass bowl – cover and set aside overnight to infuse flavours
- Transfer mixture to a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat
- Use a metal spoon to skim froth from the surface
- Cook, stirring for 25-30 minutes or until jam sets
Inspired by: Taste.com.au