It is true! You can take the girl out of the South, but you can’t take the Southerner out of the girl! I am a Texas girl, despite wearing ‘Melbourne Black’ and believing that proper tea is served hot. I am reminded of this fact (my Southernness) time and time again especially when I set to baking traditional Southern comfort dishes such as cornbread.
There is something fabulously homey about the gritty texture of a good Southern cornbread! Cornbread comes in many variations, but in the South, the good stuff is sure to contain a good dose of cornmeal/polenta, buttermilk and NO sugar. After all this is a savory, not a dessert!
- 1C Cornmeal/Polenta
- 1/3C Flour
- 1/4tsp Baking Soda
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- 1tsp Salt
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- 1C Buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 200C (400F)
- Preheat skillet/baking dish in oven
- Combine dry ingredients
- Add egg and buttermilk; mix well
- Pour mixture into greased skillet/baking dish
- Bake for 20-25 minutes – till set and lightly browned
Inspired by: About.com