I love chutney! This has not been a lifelong love, but instead a more recent development. Even more recent is my chutney making love (in conjunction with my jam making love).
I find it fabulous to start with a few simple every day ingredients and with little effort and a couples hours of time come back to find perfectly spiced chutney just waiting for me to devour! That sounds a pretty picture I know, but I suspect many of you are wondering if chutney really is that straight forward and simple to make. Please be assured, it is! As long as you have a non stick pot, you’re pretty good to go, nothing too terrible can go wrong.
Keep you eye out for tomatoes on sale. Remember they do not have to be in picture perfect condition. I keep my eye out for seconds at Aumann’s Family Orchard – they are great quality still at a very cost effective price.
- 2Tbsp Oil (I used 1Tbsp Olive Oil and 1Tbsp Chili Infused Olive Oil)
- 2tsp Mustard Seed
- 2 Red Onions (diced)
- 2 Red Capsicum (Bell Pepper) (diced)
- 4 Clove Garlic
- 1.5Kg Tomatoes (diced)
- 1-5 Red Chilies (seeds removed and finely diced)
- 2C (500mL) Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/2C (330G) Sugar
- 1Tbsp Mixed Spice
- Heat oil, add mustard seeds and cook till seeds begin to pop
- Add onion and saute till translucent
- Add capsicum, tomato, chili and garlic, saute
- Add apple cider vinegar, sugar and mixed spice
- Bring to boil
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 2 1/4- 2 1/2 hours until reduced and thickened
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Prepare jars (for instructions please see Fig Jam Recipe)
Inspired by: Taste.com