It has long been established that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I see this statement played out 5 days a week as a high school teacher. FYI, sorry to burst anyone’s bubble, however, Frosted Flakes (Frosties), Fruit Loops and Milo Cereal are NOT healthy breakfast choices.
If you really want to start your day off to a good start reduce refined processes and go as natural as possible. Oats are the perfect healthy option! They are full of dietary fiber, vitamin B1 and complex (good) carbohydrates. Not only do oats do a whole lot of good, but studies have shown that they can also undo a lot of damage by lowering cholesterol.
There are a multitude of ways of enjoying this hearty and healthy food. Here are some of my favourites:
- Overnight Oats
- Microwave Oats
- 5 Minute Oats
- Mix together 1/3C oats with 1/3C Milk, 1tsp vanilla, 1tsp Lemon Zest
- Cover and leave overnight
- Serve with fresh fruit and extra milk in the morning
- Mix 1/3C oats, 1/3C water, 1/3C Milk
- Microwave 90sec, stir than microwave for another 50sec
- Stir in your favourite flavourings and serve
- Mix 1/3C oats with 1/3C boiling water, allow to sit for 5-10 minutes
- Add milk and fresh fruit
Yes, it really is that easy to kick your day off to a good, healthy start!